Thursday, May 25, 2006

The National Archives



Yesterday, Bermuda Day, I had the wonderful opportunity to visit Bermudian archivist Kristy Warren (pictured above) at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. Kristy is a member of the 'Your Caribbean Heritage' team, who are now in the third and final year of the Heritage Lottery Fund project to catalogue Colonial Office (CO) Caribbean correspondence pre-1926, amounting to over 250,000 government documents. Kristy treated me to an inside look at her online database work, for which she has entered a remarkable amount of CO material relating to Bermuda for dates spanning 1780 to 1919 (not entirely inclusive). She also shared her co-curation of a forthcoming online exhibition as well as a travelling exhibition (which I hope, if additional funding can be found, might find it's way to Bermuda) that complement the cataloguing project. I then followed Kristy through public research areas and normally off-limits storerooms of the enormous purpose-built TNA complex. After the tour we chatted more about overlapping research interests and collaborative possibilities. To check out the TNA online catalogue, and Bermuda material under CO 37, visit www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

No comments: